Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ahoy, Matey! Day 2 of the Ship

I have now left the Bahamas (kind of - not really. The ship still
hasn't moved). Yesterday, I got to board the ship early, to begin my
official work study duties. I am a Communications Assistant, and I
think it's going to be a really good job. There are two
Communications people, and we work with the photo and video assistants
as one media team. I didn't know there were only two people for my
position - I feel pretty proud of myself now. Our supervisors seem
really relaxed and cool, and I think it'll be a great opportunity.
It'll give me a chance to put Semester at Sea on my resume! I'm still
not entirely sure exactly what I'll be doing, but I like how the vague
description sounds. Our supervisor says that, more than any other
work study program, we get a continually changing job, and the chance
to produce a product we'll be proud of. I think that's really exciting!

The ship seems really nice. It feels really new and polished. I
lucked out with my Economy cabin as well - I got a room on Deck 4
Outside, which means I get a window! That is very exciting. I have
two roommates, two juniors named Brynn and Lucy. Both girls seem
really nice, so I think this room will work out great. The only
problem is that the closet and storage space in our room is really
only built for two - so it's a pretty crowded room! I've had fun the
past two days exploring the ship, but I'm very excited for classes to
start and for us to leave port. Tomorrow is an orientation day, and
Saturday we start classes. Monday we're in Dominica! I still can't
believe this is really happening.

Well, that's all for now. I'll give another blog update when I get
more adjusted into ship life. For now, I'm just ready for us to leave
port and begin our journey!

1 comment:

  1. Did you leave tonight? Too bad the room is crowded, but you probably won't spend much time there anyway.

    ReplyDelete